A leader’s mission is to prepare the organization to successfully take on the challenges that lie ahead
Research centre or unit directors are responsible for managing and maximising their institutions’ resources. It is their task to lead the organization towards international leadership based on efficiency, responsibility and scientific excellence.
GESCI is an opportunity to achieve this. GESCI is a high level management training initiative that combines the contents of a management and business programme with those of management development and training course . It has been specifically designed for the managers of research organizations.
Essential training in order to:
- Tackle new framework challenges and growing international competition for acquiring resources, talent and opportunities.
- Promote the modernization of research institutions as well as scientific and institutional appraisal as key mechanisms for ongoing improvement.
- The Spanish, European and international research environment. Key changes, future perspectives and new opportunities
- Organizational structure of Spanish research centres and institutions
- Organizational structure of European and international research centres and institutions: RIKEN, CNRS, Max Planck, Fraunhofer, etc.
- Strategy in the scientific field. Vision and mission
- Setting strategic objectives. From the diagnosis of the current situation to strategy formulation and implementation
- The Balanced Scorecard. Usefulness, design, implementation and casuistry of centres
- Monitoring and scientific assessment
- Government bodies. Actors, roles and responsibilities
- The internal organization. Management, scientific and management structure
- Advisory panel: Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) and Business Advisory Board (BAB)
- Excellence and Responsible Research & Innovation
- The regulatory framework. State and regional legislation and own regulations applicable to the different legal forms that support research centres
- Economic-financial principles. Economic planning and management in a research centre. Fiscal aspects
- Competitive public funds. The regional, national and European funding environment (special reference to the ERC, SeO and ISCIII initiatives). Organizational structures that optimize competitive fundraising
- Private funds. Relations with companies and strategic alliances
- Fundraising in the field of R&D. Communication and marketing strategies
- Scientific and research career development
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Gender balance and multiculturalism
- Monitoring assessment and assessment site visit in HRS4R
- Strategic management skills. Conflict management in research centres
- Communication and scientific dissemination. Strategies to promote scientific dissemination
- Scientific integrity management
- Assessing the productivity of administrative units
- Scientific production and its bibliometric analysis. Practical application
- Promoting, protecting and exploiting research results
- Open Access and Open Data
- Workshop SCIENTIFIC AND INSTITUTIONAL ASSESSMENT (8 hours)
- Master sessions (6 hours)
Strategic Management of Research Centres and Units (GESCI)
Registration deadline 24/09/2019