A leader’s mission is to prepare the organization to successfully take on the challenges that lie ahead
Research centre or unit directors are responsible for managing and maximising their institutions’ resources. It is their task to lead the organization towards international leadership based on efficiency, responsibility and scientific excellence.
GESCI is an opportunity to achieve this. GESCI is a high level management training initiative that combines the contents of a management and business programme with those of management development and training course . It has been specifically designed for the managers of research organizations.
Essential training in order to:
- Tackle new framework challenges and growing international competition for acquiring resources, talent and opportunities.
- Promote the modernization of research institutions as well as scientific and institutional appraisal as key mechanisms for ongoing improvement.
- The Spanish, European and international research environment. Key changes, future perspectives and new opportunities
- Research centres in the European context: CNRS, Max Planck, Fraunhofer, CSIC, CERCA, etc.
- Strategy in the scientific field. Vision and mission
- Setting strategic objectives. From the diagnosis of the current situation to strategy formulation and implementation
- Monitoring and assessment
- The Balanced Scorecard. Usefulness, design and implementation
- Conflict, strategy and negotiation based on the Game Theory
- Government bodies. Actors, roles and responsibilities
- The internal organization. Management, scientific and management structure
- Advisory panel: Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) and Business Advisory Board (BAB)
- Excellence and Responsible Research & Innovation
- The regulatory framework. State and regional legislation and own regulations
- Foundations and other legal entities that support research centres
- Economic-financial principles and key fiscal aspects (VAT)
- Competitive public funds. The regional, national and European funding environment. Special reference to the European Research Council (ERC), Severo Ochoa Program (SeO) and Accreditation of the Carlos III Health Institute (ISCIII)
- Private funds. Relations with companies and strategic alliances
- Fundraising in the field of R&D. Communication and marketing strategies
- Scientific and research career development
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Incentive and motivation systems. Gender balance and multiculturalism
- HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) and European OTM Standards
- Promoting, protecting and exploiting research results
- Scientific integrity management
- Assessing the productivity of administrative units
- Scientific production and its bibliometric analysis
- Communication and scientific dissemination
- Open Access and Open Data
- Workshop SCIENTIFIC AND INSTITUTIONAL ASSESSMENT (8 hours)
- Key management skills module: RELATIONAL MANAGEMENT (16 hours)
Strategic Management of Research Centres and Units (GESCI)
Registration deadline 16/07/2018